Department of Civil Engineering
The Civil Engineering Department was started in the year 1984. The department has well qualified and experienced faculty with specializations in various branches of Civil Engineering, such as Structural Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Hydraulics, Environmental Engineering, Water Resources and GIS etc., Among the faculty, two are possessing Ph.D degree and the remaining faculty are pursuing with their Ph.D programmes in different specializations of Civil Engineering. The Department produces academic rank holders every year with Anna University, Chennai. The Department is maintaining its superior position with respect to the pass percentage of Anna University, Chennai in Madurai zone. The Department has several laboratories as per the requirements of Anna University. The labs are fully equipped with latest equipment. The labs are: Soil Mechanics Lab, Hydraulics Engineering Lab, Survey Lab, Concrete and Highway Engineering Lab, Strength of materials Lab, Environmental Engineering Lab, Computer Aided Design & Drafting Lab (CADD) etc.
At the end of the 4 year programme, the students acquire hands on experience in design and preparation of structural drawings for concrete/steel structures, Hydraulic and environmental problems, normally encountered in Civil Engineering practice. Hence, the students undergo training and taking practice in the Computer Aided Design and Drafting lab which includes several models of structures and other related topics of civil engineering. The Department of Civil Engineering organizes National level/State level conferences/Seminar/Workshop on latest topics of Civil Engineering. The faculty members are sponsored to attend FDPs to enhance their knowledge. The department has been producing Civil Engineers from 1988 onwards and so the Alumni are well placed across the nation / world and hence outgoing students are very much benefitted in all aspects for guidance and placement. This department is a twin department offering B.E Civil Engineering from year of 1984 and M.E. Structural Engineering from year of 2012.
Strive to become a nationally and internationally leading institution of higher learning, to graduate highly qualified engineers, maintain nationally recognized research to provide quality professional and community service to the region and the world.
i. To provide quality education to prepare nationally competitive students for a successful career in civil engineering.
ii. To provide advanced skills, knowledge in state of art of research and design in sub areas of civil engineering for graduate students.
iii. To inculcate moral and ethical values among the students.
iv. To provide service to the engineering profession and public.
v. To have regular interaction with industry and offer solutions to their problems.
Programme Outcomes (PO)
01. Engineering knowledge: Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering.
02. Problem analysis: Graduates will demonstrate an ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
03. Design/development of solutions: Graduate will demonstrate an ability to design and conduct experiments, analyze and interpret data.
04. Individual and team work: Graduates will demonstrate an ability to design a system, component or process as per needs and specifications.
05. Conduct investigation of complex problem: Graduates will demonstrate an ability to visualize and work on laboratory and multidisciplinary tasks.
06. Modern tool usage: Graduate will demonstrate skills to use modern engineering tools, software and equipment to analyze problems.
07. Ethics: Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of professional and ethical responsibilities.
08. Communication: Graduate will be able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written form.
09. Engineer and society: Graduate will show the understanding of impact of engineering solutions on the society and also will be aware of contemporary issues.
10. Life-long learning: Graduate will develop confidence for self education and ability for life-long learning.